Our physique has extra collagen than some other protein—it’s a key part of our pores and skin, bones, cartilage, muscle mass, and tendons. As we age, our physique produces much less collagen, leading to decreased pores and skin elasticity and extra wrinkles. Collagen consumed in complete meals or as a complement could enhance pores and skin look and joint ache, in keeping with some research. Whereas claims that collagen dietary supplements can strengthen hair and nails haven’t been studied as totally, there are potential advantages.
Collagen dietary supplements are usually bought as powders or capsules. They’re derived from animal sources, together with cows, pigs, chickens, or fish. In accordance with Kylie Ivanir, MS, RD of Inside Vitamin, it is very important look for top of the range sources of collagen: “If bovine, make sure it’s pasture-raised and grass-fed. If it’s marine collagen, then wild-caught.” This helps make sure the collagen is of upper high quality.
Reading: Best collagen powder or supplement
Also read: Can you take a makeup bag on a plane
When deciding which collagen complement is greatest for you, think about the shape, kind of collagen (differing kinds are correlated with totally different potential advantages), supply, dose, and price range that greatest fit your wants. Whether or not or not collagen improves pores and skin, hair, and nails and reduces joint ache, most collagen powders are nonetheless nice sources of protein. Nevertheless, collagen capsules or drugs or powders with small serving sizes normally don’t function vital protein sources.
Are Collagen Dietary supplements Useful?
- Pores and skin look: Research counsel that sure forms of collagen could modesty assist enhance the looks of getting older pores and skin. Numerous placebo-controlled research carried out utilizing hydrolyzed pig or fish-derived kind I and kind III collagen have demonstrated lowered wrinkle look, significantly across the eyes, and improved pores and skin elasticity.
- Hair and Nails: Small research assist the declare that collagen dietary supplements will result in modestly elevated hair density, whereas there are combined outcomes relating to the impression of collagen on nails. Some research report elevated nail progress and discount in brittleness, whereas others present no change. Bigger long-term research are required.
- Joint ache: With regards to joint ache, research present supplementing with varied types of collagen, usually kind II, for at the least three to 6 months could modestly cut back joint stiffness or ache. Nevertheless, some research present no profit.
- Postmenopausal individuals with lowered bone mineral density: For those who expertise age-related declines in bone mineral density, supplementing with collagen peptides for at the least 12 months could assist elevated bone formation.
- Pregnant individuals: Collagen dietary supplements could also be useful in case you are within the late phases of being pregnant when there may be larger demand for the amino acid glycine. Collagen incorporates excessive ranges of glycine, so that you would possibly think about using a complement to make sure you receive enough quantities. It’s best to seek the advice of your healthcare skilled earlier than utilizing any dietary supplements whereas pregnant.
Who Could Not Profit from Collagen Dietary supplements
Collagen dietary supplements are typically effectively tolerated. Some individuals report delicate signs, together with gastrointestinal upset, complications, dizziness, insomnia, lack of urge for food, itchy pores and skin, and canker sores.
Read more: Does toner fade out
- These with a historical past of kidney stones: Although it has not been confirmed, it’s theoretically attainable that consuming collagen dietary supplements in excessive doses could enhance the danger of kidney stones. You probably have a historical past of kidney stones, it’s best to seek the advice of together with your healthcare supplier earlier than utilizing collagen dietary supplements.
- These with sure dietary restrictions: Collagen dietary supplements are derived from animal sources. In case you are vegan or vegetarian or chorus from consuming sure animals, it is best to keep away from collagen dietary supplements.
- These with sure allergic reactions: You probably have allergic reactions to fish, shellfish, or eggs, it is best to keep away from collagen dietary supplements derived from fish sources or eggshell membranes.