Dry pores and skin in winter is so prevalent that it will probably really feel like an inescapable facet impact of the season. In New England, because the temperature plummets within the late fall and early winter, signs of dry pores and skin have a tendency to seem as soon as the humidity outdoors falls below 10 p.c. Although frequent, pores and skin dryness in winter is avoidable for these able to counter it with a strategic skincare routine. Dermatologist Dr. Abigail Waldman explains why dry pores and skin happens within the winter and shares her suggestions for a season of wholesome, hydrated pores and skin.
Why does dry pores and skin occur within the winter?
Moisture in your pores and skin is retained by a layer referred to as the stratum corneum. This outer wall holds water in and retains chemical substances, germs, and allergens out. Dr. Waldman compares the stratum corneum to a protecting brick wall: the pores and skin cells (keratinocytes) are the bricks, and they’re held collectively by many various proteins (akin to filaggrin) and fat (akin to ceramides). The proteins and fat create the mortar of the barrier. Within the winter, when the humidity drops, water extra simply escapes out of this barrier via evaporation, resulting in dry pores and skin.
Reading: For dry skin in winter
What are some danger components for dry pores and skin?
Danger components for dry pores and skin could embrace:
- Older age
- Particular well being situations, akin to eczema or meals allergy symptoms
- Frequent hand washing, showers, baths, and swimming
- Publicity to harsh soaps and chemical substances
How are you going to preserve pores and skin hydrated in winter?
Stopping water loss via the pores and skin is the aim throughout winter months. Making use of a moisturizer to your face and physique can add one other barrier to your pores and skin, which helps cease the water loss. It’s significantly vital to use the moisturizer proper after a shower. An ointment is greatest, however it will probably really feel greasy. In case you don’t just like the greasy really feel, use a thick cream as an alternative. Oils akin to Vitamin E oil may also help keep the moisture barrier however may not work nicely for very dry pores and skin.
Also read: Kpop idols skin care secrets
“The thicker the cream, the better. To really treat dry skin, the cream should hold its form when you turn the jar upside down. If it’s thin enough to come in a pump bottle, then it’s likely not going to do the trick for winter dry skin, and you should save it for the summer,” Dr. Waldman advises. She recommends that folks concentrate on the substances of skincare merchandise greater than the branding. You possibly can verify for useful substances on the label, akin to urea, ceramides, hyaluronic acid and ammonium lactate.
Take a look at the substances. Is it the proper texture? Is it thick? Does it have some ingredient that may assist? Dry pores and skin is straightforward – it doesn’t require something sophisticated. It simply requires constant utility.
It’s greatest to make use of as little cleaning soap as doable to deal with or forestall pores and skin dryness. Scented or abrasive soaps can strip down the outer layer of the pores and skin. Tub merchandise labelled with the phrase “gentle” are safer to make use of. For instance, search for a product labelled as a “gentle” cleanser.
Suggestions for Stopping Dry Pores and skin
- Keep away from dryer sheets, scented soaps or different scented merchandise.
- Use delicate pores and skin detergent to scrub your garments – this detergent is usually packaged in a white bottle.
- Take brief, chilly showers and keep away from lengthy, sizzling baths. Extremely popular water can dry out your pores and skin and an extended bathe is extra more likely to trigger pores and skin dryness than a brief bathe.
- Apply a moisturizer (an ointment or a thick cream) in your face or physique, particularly proper after baths or showers. It’s greatest to make use of an ointment that’s stable at room temperature. Examples embrace Vaseline® and Aquaphor®.
- Verify pores and skin cream for useful substances like urea, ceramides, and hyaluronic acid.
- Use merchandise with urea or ammonium lactate to deal with thicker areas of cracked pores and skin on the legs, ft and arms. You should buy these merchandise over-the-counter.
- Apply pure oils, like mineral oil, vitamin E, coconut oil and seed oil, to forestall water loss in pores and skin.
- Use a humidifier at house to scale back dryness in your pores and skin, eyes, and nostril.
- Use saline eye drops to assist with dry eyes. A nasal saline rinse may relieve the signs of dry nostril. To guard your lips, use an emollient akin to Vaseline.
When requested in regards to the position of consuming water, Dr. Waldman advises, “For the average person, it won’t do much to add more water if you’re already drinking enough. Staying hydrated is great, but is not necessarily the cure-all for dry skin, since it’s more of an issue of water escaping through the skin.” Nevertheless, if you’re chronically dehydrated, consuming the correct amount of water may also help hydrate your pores and skin.
How are you going to handle itchiness or flakiness from dry pores and skin?
Read more: Do hydrocolloid patches work on skin tags
Dr. Waldman recommends beginning with over-the-counter medicines, like a daytime antihistamine or hydrocortisone to handle itchy or flaky pores and skin. If an over-the-counter drugs doesn’t work, see a dermatologist for a check-up. When ache, itching, redness, and flaking are disrupting your life, you could want a prescription treatment. You also needs to search a physician’s steering should you develop extreme or repeat pores and skin infections. Cracks in dry pores and skin can let germs into your physique.
What are some methods to maintain pores and skin wholesome year-round?
A protracted-term technique to forestall dry pores and skin could embrace the common use of sunscreen year-round. “Sunscreen helps everything. As you age, dryness gets worse as you get older because the machinery that’s turning over the proteins and fats and cells is just not working as well. That process is very much accelerated by how much sun you get,” Dr. Waldman says. Smoking, radiation publicity, and different components all worsen pores and skin high quality.
Can dry pores and skin is usually a symptom of a well being situation that wants medical care?
Sure. Dry pores and skin is usually a symptom of a extra critical sickness or well being situation, akin to:
- Vitamin C deficiency
- Fats deficiency related to malnutrition
- Uncommon genetic situations
Study extra in regards to the Division of Dermatology at Brigham and Ladies’s Hospital. You possibly can name 617-525-9496 to schedule an appointment.
Also read: Pack for dry skin