I’ve been carrying my hair in its pure state for some time. I had dreadlocks for 9 years, and have been carrying an afro since I lower them off six years in the past. Having a pure coiffure wasn’t an enormous determination for me—I used to be simply sick of the chemical substances and the fuss that got here with straighteners and perms, and thought it was bizarre that I hadn’t seen my hair in its common state since I used to be somewhat child.
I really like my hair as it’s, however after I wish to combine it up or have a enjoyable protecting fashion (any fashion that lets me go away my hair alone for just a few days with out styling it) within the winter, I am going proper to yarn braids.
Yarn braids are precisely what they are saying they’re—braids, made out of yarn. My hair is tremendous thick, and I can normally go away these braids in for per week or two earlier than they begin to get itchy and I must take them out. The purpose right here is to have a low-key fashion that requires little upkeep.
You’ll be able to wash these yarn braids together with the hair they’re connected to for those who use a pure, low-suds shampoo like Terressentials, however I normally simply put on them for per week, take them out, give my hair a superb wash, after which braid them in once more.
A few caveats:
1. This tutorial assumes you know the way to do a fundamental braid. For those who don’t, right here‘s a tutorial.
2. In contrast to most hair tutorials, this one really works BETTER if in case you have brief hair! The longer your hair is now, the longer you’re going to spend braiding it, so preserve that in thoughts.
3. I’ll be trustworthy—I do not know if this can work on non-textured hair. You’ll be able to strive it, however it might not final as lengthy or provide the similar outcomes.
OK, let’s do that!
What you’ll need
- Acrylic yarn. This is essential—do NOT use every other sort of yarn, or your hair will knot and look a complete mess. Acrylic yarn ONLY! I used Crimson Coronary heart, however any model will work so long as it’s 100% acrylic. Most individuals use yarn that matches their hair colour, however I at all times go for purples, blues, greens, pinks, and reds.
- A number of hours of your time. Netflix is your good friend.
- Non-compulsory: A lighter. This can be a ending approach to make the ends of your braids look neater, however for those who’re gonna do that, please be (a) CAREFUL and (B) SUPERVISED by a dad or mum or one other accountable individual. Security first, and since this entails holding an open flame subsequent to your head, so SAFETY ALL THE TIME. Plus, your supervisor can double as an assistant, which can make this loads simpler.
Reporter’s observe: I nonetheless chunk my nails like loopy, so I’ve performed my finest to defend you from them in these images.
Step 1: Preparation
Wash your hair such as you’ve by no means washed earlier than. Actually scrub your scalp. In case your hair can stand it, skip the conditioner, which tends to depart buildup and provide you with flakes. (If you need to, you’ll be able to apply somewhat pure shea butter or coconut oil in your ends as you braid.)
Step 2: Measure your yarn
Maintain the free finish of a strand of yarn as much as your head with one hand, after which seize the yard the place you need your braids to cease together with your different hand. Add an additional half-inch or so, as a result of you will want it to knot the tip. Now loop the yarn round 4 fingers thrice, leaving you with an enormous loop with six strands subsequent to one another.
Step 3: Cut the yarn
For those who stretch out this loop, one pole may have three loops, the opposite two loops and two ends. Minimize the loops on the pole with two loops.
Step 4: Part your hair
To make your braids uniform, seize a piece of hair that’s in regards to the width of three strands of yarn. This doesn’t should be excellent.
Step 5: Start your braid
Slide your sectioned-off hair by way of the looped ends of the yarn. Preserve three strands of yarn in every hand. Give the yarn ONE twist in order that it doesn’t slide round as you might be braiding. Braids are performed in three components: Your hair is one part, between two clusters of yarn (every cluster having three strands—lotta math on this one).
Step 6: Oops, you’re running out of hair!
Whenever you begin to run out of your individual hair, take one strand from every yarn cluster and add it to your hair. You must now have two strands of yarn in every bunch.
Step 7: Keep braiding, girl, keep braiding
Work in your braid till you attain the specified size. You’ll be able to examine your size by holding the braid right down to see the place it stops.
Step 8: Knot your ends
End off the braid by making a slipknot on the finish. Pull two of your yarn sections collectively (4 strands complete) and use the opposite part to make the knot. Loop the yarn across the finish of the braid as soon as, and pull the strands by way of the middle of the loop you simply made. Pull TIGHT. Minimize the remaining yarn near the knot.
For those who’d prefer to, you might finish it right here. Hooray! Your hair seems dope, congratulations. If you wish to make your ends look extra completed, there’s yet another factor you are able to do: singe the ends of your braid with a li’l tiny bit of fireside.
Optional finish: Burn the ends
Maintain your braid near the tip the place you knotted it. Utilizing a lighter, QUICKLY run the flame underneath your knot in one-second increments. Since your yarn is acrylic, the tip of your braid will burn like plastic. That is actually helpful if you wish to preserve them in for a very long time, since you don’t have to fret about your braids unraveling in case your knot shouldn’t be very tight.
Once more, and I can’t stress this sufficient—you HAVE to do that step with some sort of supervision, or skip it solely. Even when you’re going to watch out, acrylic burns up FAST, and also you don’t wish to threat beginning an unintentional hearth with out somebody on the prepared with a fireplace extinguisher.
You do NOT need the yarn to mild on hearth; you simply wish to give it somewhat sizzle so the ends are sealed. You shouldn’t do that for greater than three seconds at most. As soon as the tip is sealed and has cooled for just a few seconds, you’ll be able to rub it between your fingers to offer it a extra polished look.
Whenever you’re able to take them out, simply lower the yarn near the underside knot (watch out to not lower your precise hair) and unravel like an everyday ol’ braid.
That’s it! Congratulations—you look super.