Not solely is a cracked toenail painful, however it may additionally trigger extra points that require medical therapy. Nonetheless, the excellent news is that cracked toenails can’t solely be handled, but additionally prevented. To keep away from a painful or inconvenient cracked nail, learn beneath for recommendations on therapy or ensuring it by no means occurs!
What are the causes of a cracked toenail?
There are quite a few readers that nails, together with toenails, grow to be cracked.
- Harm: The commonest cause for a cracked toenail is damage. Stubbing your toe or dropping one thing in your foot is a surefire solution to crack a toenail. Dangerous pedicure: If you happen to had a pedicure, and it was not sanitary or accomplished accurately, you’ll be able to find yourself with a cracked toenail. As an example, in case your toenail shouldn’t be filed accurately and also you placed on socks and footwear, the nail can get caught and crack the nail. Worse case, it begins to bleed and/or get contaminated.
- Water: Water can take a toll in your nails. If you happen to spend loads of time within the water, your nails can get brittle and crack.
- Size: In case your toenails are lengthy, they will get hooked and crack.
- Well being: When you’ve got sure well being points, your toenails may crack consequently. As an example, in case you have any kind of an infection, thyroid, kidney or liver illness, or perhaps a vitamin deficiency, your toenails can take some injury.
Can a cracked toenail heal itself?
The quick reply isn’t any. It can not heal with out intervention from its proprietor.
That’s as a result of if a nail will get separated from the nail mattress, it’s going to progressively fall, and a brand new nail will develop instead.
How will you repair a cracked nail at residence?
Also read: Are gel nails acrylic
There are a lot of steps you’ll be able to take to attempt to appropriate your cracked toenail, particularly at residence. Earlier than you begin any methodology, make sure you clear and disinfect your toenail earlier than starting.
- Nail hardener: Add nail hardener to your nail crack and let it dry. Proceed to use to fix the crack.
- Lightless gel: Apply lightless gel to your nail, particularly over the crack. Spray activation treatment on the identical nail. Repeat the method.
- Nail glue and silk: Place a silk wrap or strip over your nail. Add nail glue to the silk over your nail and let it set. Dip the nail in nail powder, mud off and dip once more. Proceed the dipping course of till you are feeling the nail is in place.
- Nail glue and tea luggage: Reduce the tea bag to the form of your nail. Apply nail glue on the crack and place the tea bag over it. Let it dry.
- Nail glue and acrylic nails: Apply glue and add an acrylic nail over your broken toenail. Permit it to dry.
When you’ve got a tiny crack, you need to use nail polish to attempt to seal it or file the crack right down to make it even. Nonetheless, any bigger cracks must be remedied with the above strategies or with medical consideration.
When does your cracked toenail require medical concern?
When doubtful relating to the severity of your crack, it is perhaps greatest to hunt medical consideration to keep away from an infection or additional injury. Nonetheless, if you happen to expertise ache for a couple of days, blood accumulation, pus, blue/purple discoloration, or white spots, it’s worthwhile to see a health care provider — particularly a podiatrist. These could be indicators of extra, but unknown injury or an an infection.
What are the medical remedies to repair a cracked toenail?
If you happen to resolve to see medical therapy, there are a couple of steps that the physician might have you ever take. Relying on the severity of the damage, the podiatrist might begin with fundamental first assist akin to cleansing the wound and making use of stress to bleeding. If the nail is in fine condition, you might simply want some ointment and a bandage.
Also read: Red sparkly nail designs
Nonetheless, if the wound is extra extreme, you might want antibiotics or therapy to alleviate stress. To rule out additional damage, you might want an x-ray to find out the extent of the damage and resolve on the additional plan of action.
How do you forestall nail cracking?
There are very fundamental steps you’ll be able to take to keep away from cracked toenails.
- Care. Taking excellent care of your pores and skin and nails is the highest solution to preserve your nails from cracking. Being conscious of the proper solution to form and file your nails (not into factors, buff alongside the expansion) gives your nails with the flexibility to develop in a wholesome vogue and never be susceptible to cracks.
- Pedicures. If you happen to’re going to get a pedicure, ensure you go to somebody extraordinarily respected and licensed. This not solely gives you a very good pedicure but additionally guarantee you don’t get an an infection. If you happen to do your individual (or you’ll be able to ask the technician), add nail hardener to additional defend your toenails.
- Diet. Diet on your physique is vital. Maintaining a healthy diet strengthens your nails and prevents cracking. Contemplate consuming extra meals and drinks with calcium, omega 3 fatty acids, iron, and antioxidants to spice up nail well being. Moreover, add further vitamins to your nails by soaking them in coconut or argan oil. Hold your nails soaked in water to a minimal.
When you’ve got a cracked toenail, don’t hesitate. Give us a name or schedule an appointment so we are able to look at and set you up for cracked toenail therapy. Podiatrist Dr. Jeff Pawlowski and the staff at Crimson Mountain Footcare in Mesa, AZ deal with each affected person with care and concern to get you again on observe as rapidly as potential.
Schedule An Appointment
Learn an Article About: How Do I Know If I Have An Ingrown Toenail?
Also read: How to get fake nails to stay on