Athlete’s foot (tinea pedis) is a fungal pores and skin an infection that normally begins between the toes. It generally happens in folks whose toes have develop into very sweaty whereas confined inside tight-fitting footwear.
Indicators and signs of athlete’s foot embody an itchy, scaly rash. The situation is contagious and will be unfold by way of contaminated flooring, towels or clothes.
Athlete’s foot is carefully associated to different fungal infections equivalent to ringworm and jock itch. It may be handled with antifungal medicines, however the an infection usually comes again.
Athlete’s foot can have an effect on one or each toes. Widespread indicators and signs are:
- Scaly, peeling or cracked pores and skin between the toes
- Itchiness, particularly proper after taking off footwear and socks
- Infected pores and skin which may seem reddish, purplish or grayish, relying in your pores and skin shade
- Burning or stinging
- Dry, scaly pores and skin on the underside of the foot that extends up the facet
When to see a physician
Also read: Luxoderm skin toning cream
When you’ve got a rash in your foot that does not enhance inside two weeks of starting self-treatment with an over-the-counter antifungal product, see your physician.
When you’ve got diabetes, see your physician if you happen to suspect that you’ve athlete’s foot. Additionally see your physician when you’ve got indicators of an an infection — swelling of the affected space, pus, fever.
Athlete’s foot is brought on by the identical sort of fungi (dermatophytes) that trigger ringworm and jock itch. Damp socks and footwear and heat, humid situations favor the organisms’ development.
Athlete’s foot is contagious and may unfold by means of contact with an contaminated particular person or from contact with contaminated surfaces, equivalent to towels, flooring and footwear. You may also unfold it from the foot to different elements of the physique, particularly if you happen to scratch or decide the contaminated elements of your foot.
Read more: Can alcohol affect your skin
You’re at greater threat of athlete’s foot if you happen to:
- Often put on enclosed footwear
- Sweat closely
- Share mats, rugs, mattress linens, garments or footwear with somebody who has a fungal an infection
- Stroll barefoot in public areas the place the an infection can unfold, equivalent to locker rooms, saunas, swimming swimming pools, communal baths and showers
The athlete’s foot an infection can unfold to different heat, moist elements of the physique. Jock itch is usually brought on by the identical fungus that leads to athlete’s foot. It’s normal for the an infection to unfold from the toes to the groin as a result of the fungus can journey on palms or towels.
Athlete’s foot can typically result in bacterial infections.
The following pointers might help you keep away from athlete’s foot or keep away from spreading it to others:
Also read: Pimple popped under skin what to do
- Let your toes air out. When you possibly can, put on sandals to let your toes air out as a lot as attainable.
- Wash your toes day by day. Use heat, soapy water and rinse and dry your toes totally, particularly between the toes. Apply a medicated foot powder (Tinactin, Gold Bond, others) or different medicated powder (Lotrimin AF, Zeasorb, others) if you happen to’re susceptible to athlete’s foot.
- Change socks commonly. Change your socks at the very least as soon as a day — extra usually in case your toes get actually sweaty. Moisture-wicking socks, equivalent to these constructed from cotton, assist maintain your toes drier than do nylon socks.
- Alternate pairs of footwear. Use completely different footwear from daily. This provides your footwear time to dry after every use.
- Defend your toes in public locations. Put on waterproof sandals or footwear round public swimming pools, showers and lockers rooms.
- Concentrate on the chance elements for spreading the situation. When you reside with others, do not share footwear or unwashed bedding and towels.