Manicure maintenance will be troublesome — when one nail chips, the entire set is ruined. Plus, there’s the query of whether or not or not you’re ruining your nails with therapies like acrylics or gels. Nonetheless, a sophisticated and fairly set of nails could make you are feeling like 1,000,000 bucks — to not point out, nails will be an outlet for self-expression through completely different nail shapes, polish colours and designs.
If you’re obsessive about the look of acrylic, dip powder or gel manicures, however hate to threat damaging your nails, your new manicure hero has arrived: polygel. This gel-acrylic hybrid offers the perfect of each worlds, so that you now not have to decide on between nail fashion and nail security. So, let’s get into what truly makes the polygel system so distinctive.
Reading: Polygel nails at home
What are polygel nails?
Polygel is a nail enhancement that is greatest described as a gel-acrylic hybrid system. “You get the strength of an acrylic enhancement, but then you get some of the flexibility that comes with a gel,” explains Naomi Gonzalez-Longstaff, a nail designer and celeb manicurist. “It is gel-based in terms of its consistency and texture, but a bit thicker.” When correctly utilized, polygel nails don’t break simply. The truth is, they’re robust and versatile, regardless of feeling lighter than different options like arduous gels. Their versatile nature additionally makes them extra sturdy as time passes.
Read more: How much are acrylic nails
Are polygel nails higher than acrylic nails?
Just like acrylic, polygel can be utilized to sculpt, fill in or lengthen nails. Nevertheless, there are variations, together with the truth that polygel is considerably lighter than acrylic (although it is simply as robust). It is also completely different than a dip manicure, which is equal to granulated acrylic.
Polygel is a good choice for anybody with softer nails, however not beneficial for anybody with extra brittle nails. “It’s a great in-between for those who have good natural nails but want a little bit more stability and a little bit more strength, without the abrasiveness of acrylics,” she says.
What do you want for DIY polygel nails?
In the event you’re making an attempt to do polygel nails at residence, you first want provides. Making an attempt the method with out correct instruments will be each irritating and doubtlessly damaging to nails. Here is all the pieces you may must efficiently pull off a set of DIY polygel nails at residence.
- A polygel nail equipment. There are various nice kits obtainable on-line with a wide range of coloration choices; select a top-rated one which works to your funds and elegance.
- Twin varieties or nail varieties, relying in your choice. Each are a shell that’s positioned over the nail to sculpt. One of many largest variations between the 2 is that twin varieties are multi-use and nail varieties are single-use.
- Base coat and prime coat. These are two staples you must use everytime you DIY a manicure, as they help in prepping and sealing the nails.
- LED gentle. An LED nail lamp helps to remedy the nail, a.ok.a. harden the polish. “The strength of an LED light is a little bit more intense than a UV light and will help the product last longer on the nails,” she explains.
- A sculpting brush (with a spatula). “You want to use a designated gel sculpting brush that has a square angle tip — think of it as a paint brush,” Gonzalez-Longstaff says.
- Rubbing alcohol. This is used to wet the brush so the polygel doesn’t completely adhere to it.
How to apply polygel nails at home
Also read: Do you need uv light for shellac nail polish
These steps can vary based on the instructions in your kit; adhere to them carefully for best results.
- File your nails. This helps smooth any ragged edges so you start with a smooth surface that enhances lasting power.
- Choose the dual or nail forms that fit your fingers. This is an optional step, as you can also overlay the polygel on natural nails. If you do to use a dual form, your kit will likely come with different sizes. Some shapes are curvier or flatter than others, but try to match the form with your nail accordingly. “For a more natural nail look, match the dual form to the nail bed and cuticle line,” Gonzalez-Longstaff advises.
- Apply your base coat and remedy it below an LED gentle. The period of time beneath the sunshine will rely in your equipment, however an excellent rule of thumb is 60 seconds.
- Dip your brush within the included slip/alcohol-based resolution. This is a crucial step, because it lets you transfer the polygel round on the twin kind (or pure nail) with out the gel excessively sticking to the comb.
- Squeeze polygel on the twin kind or nail. Utilizing your brush, unfold the polygel on the twin kind evenly and sculpt it into the specified form.
- If utilizing a twin kind, press the polygel coated twin kind in your nail to stick.
- Treatment your nails beneath the LED gentle to set the polygel.
- If utilizing a twin kind, take away it.
- Minimize, file and form your nails to your required look.
- Apply the highest coat and remedy your nails below the LED gentle one final time.
Tips on how to take away polygel nails with acetone
Very like the gel itself, the removing course of is a mix of methods. “You’re going to have to file some of it off, like you do when removing acrylic nails, and then use acetone with a cotton ball wrapped around the nail, like you do for your gel manicures,” she says.
But every kit and product has a different application and removal process, so follow the included instructions closely. One way to tell whether your polygel nail kit is good quality is “by looking at the removal process, because if it includes a lot of abrasiveness to the natural nail, that means the product isn’t formulated well,” Gonzalez-Longstaff notes.
How lengthy do polygel nails final?
The polish itself lasts round three weeks, relying on way of life wear-and-tear. In the event you’re not opting to make use of a extra inexpensive polygel equipment within the consolation of your individual residence, word that in-salon costs can differ from $75 to $150, relying on the placement and technician. In the event you’re solely filling your nails in, quite than getting a full set of polygel nails, costs are doubtless decrease.
Also read: What age acrylic nails